Tuesday, January 04, 2005

You gotta crawl before you walk

As many of you out there know, I became an uncle this year. My sister had two baby boys. As a result of my uncle status, I have become more aware of child development issues. On of the things that scientists have been saying lately is that in order to have proper physical and mental development, you have to walk before you crawl. If these things dont happen in a certain order, many doctors now believe you will struggle with both coordination and learning challenges when you get older.

I realize that this is fairly new science, and not everyone will agree. What I do wonder about though, is if a similar process of development happens on the Christian journey. Does spiritual development happen through a particular process, as folks like Dallas Willard and Rick Warren might say it does? Or does spiritual growth happen in a less predictable pattern, more particular to the person? If spiritual growth were plotted on a chart, generally would it look more like a gradual consistent incline, stairsteps (flat line punctuated by periods of great growth), or like the stock market (up, down, all over the place)? (my experience tells me most like stairsteps--with a combo of all 3).

Also, interesting is the relationship between our physical lives and our spiritual lives. I don't think we can make straight line value judgements, but I would say there is a definite relationship between the two. They are entertwined. Spiritual lives are embodied and incarnated in human form in one way or another. But perhaps that is best left for a future blog.....

No comments:

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...