Let me tell you why this is such a good call:
1. It works for the base of evangelical Christians. Palin is a pro-life mother of five.
2. She is not wealthy. Her husband still works a blue-collar job. She ran her campaign for governor out of a mini-van going from town to town for goodness sake. Her husband is, however, a world champion snowmobile guy.
3. She is a reformer. She won against an incumbent in an incumbant party in her campaign for governor. After getting in office, she fired the cooks and sold the airplane comped to the governor of Alaska. She chose to fly commercial instead. Cheaper and more practical. Then she went to work rooting out corruption in Juneau, and with other government workers. She has also been a reformer as a mayor as well.
4. Who better to defend the war on terror than a mother of a son who is being deployed to Iraq in the next couple of months?
5. If Mccain leaves the thought out there that he might be done in four years, she may be a real threat to be the first woman president in four years.
6. She is more of a change candidate than Obama, Biden, or McCain.
7. She is from the west. I was getting sickened by the "beltway" stuff with the media and everyone pushing east coast media and candidates. This is important. Western republicans are what she personifies. Blue collar. Middle class folks that emphasize low taxes and moral living. One of the discussions I have with my wife from time to time is which party is more populist. In Michigan, it is democrats that are populist. In the West, democrats are an overeducated crowd of elites, pot smokers, and deviants in much of popular thought. This establishes the ticket as conservative Western brand of conservatives. (California does not count as the West--its different)
8. Her husband is a member of the United Steel Workers union
9. She is young.
10. She is good looking. That does not hurt.
11. She is a small town gal. Well...kinda. She is from Wasilla. Most Americans consider Wasilla a small town. Most Alaskans consider Wasilla suburb of Anchorage. Either way, it is something that the media is suspicious about but something even a lot of big city america will love.
12. She is an outdoorswoman who has not shot anybody (like our current VP)
13. Nobody can say this looks like the Bush/Cheney brand of Republicanism, even if they agree about many things.
14. It showed McCain can outdo Obama in keeping an secret with that stupid text message stuff. It may be small potatoes. But it does matter that McCain can deliver, while Obama is all talk.
15. She is a working mom.
Anyone in the media talking about the Obama speech now? Nope. Convention bounce. I think will be gone by the weekend for the Democrats.
Never underestimate John McCain. The Republican candidates did at their peril. The Democrats are in danger of doing the same.