Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Romans



Lately, I have gotten back to a habit that works well for me. Early on in my ministry in Colorado Springs, I discovered that I do well in using small group Bible study materials for my personal devotional times. It serves the double function of helping me review materials for small group use at a later date. Recently, I have been working my way through John Stott Bible Studies.

I started out working throught the Pastoral Epistles (The pastoral epistles are three books in the Bible that are letters written to young pastors on how to lead their congregations). I figured that would give me a good start on my first senior/solo pastorate. Right now I am working through a study on the book of Romans. Studying Romans has been good for me. I have avoided Romans in my preaching and teaching for a while. Why? First of all, it so utterly propositional in the way that it communicates truth. It is theology as stated in a theological tretise. And, to be honest, some of the logic in Romans as it relates to Abraham gets me all turned around. Not so much because I cannot understand Paul's point, but I have a hard time following how he arrived at his point. But slowly I am getting some of the points of the book. And it does not hurt that so much of the book is rooted in the experience of Abraham, and I have just been teaching about Abraham from Genesis in the pulpit.

Most compelling to me so far is the description of God's wrath in chapter 2. God's wrath, as you read on, is expressed in a "giving over" of people. The punishment for sin is being given over to the power of sin and the suffering that sin brings (both eternal and temporal). Very interesting to think about.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

reliv4life said...

that is interesting to consider...

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...