Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Digging Deep in the Walmart Garden

So, about a week ago, I decide to go to Walmart and look at getting a plant. I am trying to make my small deck more about beauty and prayer. Part of the plan is adding some plants to my little outdoor space, so that the space can be a small personal worship and reflection space.

So I looked, and looked and looked. After wandering around Walmart for a while, I decided to sit with Jen in the rocking chairs in the garden department. After exchanging pleasantries about how nice it was outside, how good it smelled, etc. I started to think about owning a plant. I told Jen, "I am not sure I am ready for the commitment of owning a plant. Owning a plant is a big commitment. First you buy the plant, then you have to repot, buy pots, soil, and so much more. Its a big commitment if you are going to do it right."

There was laughter, then there was silence.

"So what does that say about me ever having kids if owning a plant is too big of commitment." I said.

"Exactly" Jen replied.

And then we both laughed really, really hard.

Then, I went and bought a couple of plants.

5 comments:

Gretchen said...

Funny story. I still have a hard time with plants. They don't need you as much as a child or spouse does so they are easy to forget about!

David Cho said...

Sounds like you and your girlfriend are getting pretty serious :)

Anonymous said...

laughter is good

but commitment is real :)

Anonymous said...

No plants at the Baker house.......at least not ones we take care of!!! If we didn't have a gardner and automatic sprinklers we wouldn't have a yard!!!!!!

SUPER said...

This year I've decided to make my back yard my own personal oasis...well and my dogs too. I've never planted so many dang plants. Digging the holes is the worst part. I've got to tell you though, it looks and smells amazing, the dogs like having new things to explore, and I love the beauty and tranquility of it all. A couple plants are worth your effort Clint! Way to take the plunge!

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...