Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Small Town Life: A Snapshot

This Wednesday night I prayed the opening prayer at the Bacclaureate service here in Fowler. It is my first week on the job, and I have already recieved two responsibilities in community services.

Today, after the service for our soon-to-be graduates here in Fowler, I started visiting with people. Several people have asked:

"So how is that bathroom you are getting redone coming along?"

I am always a little shocked when I meet people for the first time, and they know that the church is remodeling our bathroom. This is especially interesting when it is in a conversation with people I am meeting for the first time.

I met the head of the local bank. He asked about the progress of our bathroom.

So did the minister of the Christian Church.

In a way this is a little shocking, and in a way this is a compliment and a comfort that people seem so invested in our adjusting well.

All in all, this is life and ministry in a small town.

2 comments:

Drea Inspired said...

Well it sounds like things are going well. I like the comfort of small town living. I'm think seriously about going back to the small town I grew up in. I'd go right now except for the tiny little matter of not having a job there and having a husband and a house here.

reliv4life said...

LOL

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...