Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Looking for God--Book Review



In the previous church I attended, I would often overhear people say that the sermon they heard was decent, but then have a hard time explaining what the sermon was about. In some ways I discovered the same thing about this book.

Blogger Julie Clawsoncompares the book to Blue Like Jazz. I would say that if somewhat apt comparison, although Ortberg is female and was writing from a more affluent and evangelical background. Ortberg is easily readable, intelligent, and a little bit of a smart-aleck (which I like).

Especially poigniant stories include:
* the story of Larry, which nearly moved me to tears
* the story of Nancy's failure to follow through on something she knew she could do
* the discussion about spiritual growth as a mother of toddlers

This book is easily accesable to everyone, and I used on of her object illustrations as a children's message in worship Last Sunday. It is especially a good book for contemporary Christian women, although it speaks to people regardless of gender.

Having said all of that, I wish there would have been a more clear direction for the book ahead of time. I kept expecting for it to come together somehow. It did not.

NOW FOR FINISHING THE BOOK I WAS GIVEN TO REVIEW: SWAY--by Brafman and Brafman

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog - I like the fact that you put a lot of thought into the content. I wanted to invite you to submit it or another favorite blog of yours to 850 KOA's Colorado's Best Blog competition: http://www.850koa.com/pages/cbb.html. We're looking to create a directory of the best of what Coloradoans are doing on the web.

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...