Monday, November 17, 2008

My Amazon induced moral crisis

Today I revieved two orders for one order I made. The first order was late. By Friday I called Amazon to check on the progress of my order that was supposed to be delivered by Monday, and had been placed on Halloween. They said that the address had been declared undeliverable and they would send extra copies on UPS One Day Delivery. Now I have two sets of books.

The question is, should I send my books back? I hate going through all the customer service, spending lots of time repackaging and mailing the books back. Downloading mailing labels. Going to the post office.

Do I have a moral obligation to return the books, especially since I recieved them due to poor customer service? Or should I quietly reap the benefit of duplicate books?

What do you think?

7 comments:

Gretchen said...

If you keep the books it will always be a reminder of doing something slightly shady. I've been in this position before and I didn't have peace until it was righted.
It is a pain to go through the process but in the long run it's worth it!

Erin said...

I'd email and ask what they want you to do.

My gut says to send them back. But I once ordered a photo print from a company, and two were in the same package. I emailed them and asked where I send the duplicate back... and they said it was too big a pain for them to deal with and I should keep it. So I did :)

On the subject of the books... yea. If they want them sent back, I would.

reliv4life said...

I like wilsonian's idea, come clean and maybe they will just say to keep them, doubt that though... If you just keep them, later on it will feel dishonest every time you look at them. It would get to me eventually, even if not at first.

Steve said...

I agree with the other commenters. You're definitely the type of guy who'll feel guilty, or at least spend more time wondering if you did the right thing than it would have taken to print labels, go to the post office, etc.

Kim said...

Send them back. Some day you may be telling your kid to do the same. Take the high road, it is usually more work. That's my two bits. SMILE!

Anonymous said...

I contacted amazon when this happened. They told me to keep the extra one. I then gave it to a friend who was blessed :)

Anonymous said...

ASK them

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...