Discussion Guide for A MILLION MILES IN A THOUSAND YEARS
- On a scale of 1-5, what would you rate this book and why?
- If you could summarize the point of this book in one sentence, what would it be
The Big Picture
- If your life was a kind of story, what kind of story would it be? Suspense? Romance?
- Does your story have a "narrative arc"? What would the theme of your life be if it were written as a story?
- Do you think your story is written by you, or written by forces outside of your control?
- How do you take more control of how your life is being written
Finding the Plot
- What do you think of the definition of a story as "a character that wants something and overcomes conflict to get it"?
- What do you think of Don's discovery of inciting incidents? Have you created inciting incidents in your life? How have they come into your life unannounced?
- What are the major conflicts in your life? How have they defined you?
- What plot turns in your story do you see ahead?
Getting Into Character
- How would you feel about the process of editing your story?
- How do negative turns drive a story when you observe it?
- How do positive turns drive a story?
- Which usually comes first, the positive turn or the negative turn?
- Which of the following parts of character development intrigued you the most?
A good character must face fears
Saving a Cat
Making yourself the hero of your story
The three acts of a person's life (discovery, stability, reflection)
- How do you keep from getting stuck in a bad story?
- How do you change to write a better story?
How do you become a more admirable character in the midst of your story?