Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Book Review of Daily Feast: Meditations from Feasting on the Word: Year C




Daily Feast: Meditations from Feasting on the Word: Year C
ed. by Kathleen Long Bostrom, Elizabeth F. Caldwell and Jana Reiss
ISBN 978-0-664-23798
Westminster John Knox
Reviewed by Clint Walker

Feasting on the Word began as a commentary series developed by Westminster John Knox Press in partnership with Columbia Theological Seminary. The commentary was so well received that the publisher and the team that developed these resources has now began to develop other related resources. Recently I reviewed the Worship Companion on this blog. Today, I want to share with you a recently released devotional called Daily Feast (Year C)

The Daily Feast devotional follows the pattern of the Feasting on the Word commentaries closely. It too is based on the Revised Common Lectionary (RCL). The beginning of each week has a snippet of each of the lectionary texts. Then, throughout the week, each reading is given a place in the devotional. The Scripture text is listed and the reader is supposed to read that out of the Bible themselves. Then, a quote from the extensive work of the commentary is included about the Scripture passage. A question or two for thought are included. After that, each days devotion ends with a brief prayer.

I have a copy of Year B of this devotional on my Kindle, and I have a hard copy provided by the publisher for Year C. In my experience this devotional is helpful and insightful. It helps me meditate on the readings I will hear or preach on each Sunday, so I have already been pondering each of the texts before I hear them in worship. Because of this, I feel that my devotional life and my worship life are knit together with this commentary. Also, since it is scheduled by the Christian year instead of the calendar year, it is a devotional that will be timeless, and could be returned to very easily every three years.

The hard copy of the book has a pleasing presentation. It is in an imitation leather binding that feels good when held. A bookmark is built in.

I really recommend this devotional to mainline Christians everywhere. The scholarship is ecumenical, and the organization is first rate.


No comments:

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...