Friday, February 21, 2014

Book Review of the One Year Uncomon Life Daily Challenge



The One Year Uncommon Life Daily Challenge
by Tony Dungy and Nathan Whitaker
ISBN 978-1-4143-8248-9
Tyndale Momentum
Reviewed by Clint Walker

I have been using the One Year Uncommon Daily Challenge as my devotional to guide my thoughts and my attitude in the morning, and it has been a great help. Dungy and Whitaker guide their readers with simple reminders of how to live a simple life of faith with uncommon grace.

As one might expect, there are several reflections based upon both Dungy's years in the NFL, as well as other sports stories (this morning I read a reflection on Hoosiers and an anecdote from the Colorado Rockies scouting department for example). However, there are also several reflections guided by experiences as a business leader, a husband and father, and much more.

Each day of the week has a theme, and that theme is returned to each subsequent week. So, for instance, my Sunday devotions always focus on "mission".

I have the imitation leather copy, which I purchased for much less than the Amazon price at Sam's Club. I like this type of binding for my devotional. Engages my sense of touch in a pleasant way, which prepares me in some strange, and perhaps materialistic way to slow down and take everything in. Silly I know.

Anyway, I would recommend this especially for guys who want encouragement on a daily basis for living their faith in their ordinary lives, in order to make their ordinary lives uncommonly good and grace-filled.

No comments:

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...