Saturday, March 19, 2016

Book Review of 40/40 Vision by Greer and Lafferty




40/40 Vision: Clarifying Your Vision at Midlife
by Peter Greer and Greg Lafferty
ISBN 978-0-8308-4434-0
IVP Books
Reviewed by Clint Walker

As evidenced by previous posts, I am in my forties. Although I have yet to buy a convertible, and I have no desire to trade in my forty-something wife in for two twenties, there is a sense in which I am beginning to think about where my life is going to be headed for the second half of my earthly existence.

In 40/40 Vision Peter Greer and Greg Lafferty speak of the 40 year mark and the midlife stage as a crossroads. How people like me navigate this stage, they argue, is imperative. Midlife, the authors argue, is a crossroads that defines the narrative of a person's life. For those who have struggled, it is a time to pull life together and move in a different direction. For all persons, it is a time to reevaluate the trajectory of one's life, and make the necessary adjustments for the future.

Each chapter in this book, after the introduction, focuses on a different issue in midlife. Each chapter encourages the reader to evaluate, adjust, and make the most of their lives in the present and future. Even more, as the title communicates, the authors want people to stop floating along, and move forward in the second half of life with vision, purpose, and passion.


1 comment:

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...