Saturday, October 25, 2008

Discipline Part 2

I have been thinking a lot, and discussing a lot with Jennifer about being more financially disciplined. Jennifer thinks I am a planner--which is probably different from what my family of orgin would say--but I think she is right. I am more and more of a planner all of the time.

Lately I have been thinking about Dave Ramsey, the Total Money Makeover, Financial Peace University, and how we can become more disciplined as a couple with our finances. To be honest, we are not awfully undisciplined at the moment. We do not eat out a lot, we rarely go to movies, and we do not spend a lot on luxuries. But, I think with a little more focus we can get some good things accomplished. And maybe if I get a second job, we can get some more stuff paid off. Right now we do well if we have regular expenses, but when those unexpected (car repairs or medical bills) or irregular (like Christmas) expenses come, we fall a little behind. Luckily, right now we have a cushion.

I am thinking that we will look at preparing for this until the end of the year, and then after Christmas get started with a firm plan.

1 comment:

reliv4life said...

Good idea! I have learned to actually write my goals down and even if I don't always hit them exactly, then I am still making progress.

Book Review of Little Prayers for Ordinary Days by Katy Bowser Hutson, Flo Paris Oaks, and Tish Harrison Warren and illustrated by Liita Forsyth

Little Prayers for Ordinary Days by Katie Bowser Hutson, Flo Paris Oakes, and Tish Harrison Warren IVP Kids ISBN 978-1-5140-0039-8 Reviewed ...