Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Up Movie Review



When we watched the previews to the movie "Up" we expected a fun movie about a curmudgenly old man, an overweight child, and a dog. This movie was so much more than that. Contrary to PIXARs usual direction, it was a tour de force about grief and loss, and how to overcome those losses.

If you do not like sad movies, do not watch "UP". I never cry with movies. I have been crying off and on since I watched it. It is sad and beautiful at the same time. There are several light sections in the movie, but overall the movie is a very heavy, weighty movie. The child is somewhat sad and lost. So is the old man. The "UP" situation forces them to work together.

This is not the best movie for young children. The early grade school girl kept crying through the movie and saying, "Mommy this is the saddest movie ever!" and "Take me home!".

The dog in the movie is adorable. As is the bird. The dog character actually reminded us a lot of our dog. He makes the movie worth watching in my opinion, and is in many ways the comic relief.

There is a lot of big lessons about grief, change, and loss to be gained. It would be an interesting movie to show to older adults and talk about the implications of it afterward, especially in relationship to younger people.

Also, this is my first modern 3D movie. Last time I tried to watch a 3D movie it was a black and white movie about some creature from the deep. Technology has come a long ways since then.

If you have watched it, I would love to hear your thoughts.

3 comments:

hanna said...

UP! was very sad and i as well would not recommend it for the younger age group. check out my blog at http://yovia.com/blogs/hanna/2009/06/09/up/

reliv4life said...

well, I must have a hard hearted kid, cuz lizzie did fine -she loved it. Can't believe you have Doug in the "cone of shame". I definately thought it was a much deeper emotional movie than most animated ones. We all went and laughed and cried - but found it very refreshing!! I LOVED it. Maybe because for the first time in my life I feel I am living my dreams? Not sure, but like it a lot.

A. Roberts said...

Well, I guess I'll leave the kiddos at home then. I was hoping it would be another Monsters Inc. Although I am amused that screenwriters have found a way to weave the human condition into a Pixar film!

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...