Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Fixed Hour Prayer



For around 6 months or so, I have made an off and on effort to participate in some sort of fixed-hour prayer. During this time, I have consistently felt like a failure at this project to my inability to practice this kind of prayer on a regular basis.

I tried to begin again with my effort to do fixed-hour prayer as a spiritual discipline. And, as often happens, I do well in the mornings when I am at an unhurried pace, and then fell short in the evening as things got easier.

This morning, I came to the conclusion that praying through my prayer book in the morning, a few times, and not getting to it more in the afternoon and evening is ok. In fact, it is good. It is working at centering me in the morning, and at times one or more of the Scriptures come to mind during the day.

Am I being to easy on myself?

No comments:

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...