Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Biography in Music: Pre-school through Early Elementary School


As my parents started to drift apart, they decided to move into town. As we moved into town, we started spending a lot more time with my Aunt Teresa. This increased even more once my parents got divorced, and my aunt and my mother rotated child-care at different points.

My Aunt Teresa, for as long as I can remember, always drove Subaru station wagons (now known as a "crossover"). Driving with my Aunt Teresa was always fun, because she always had the cool music, and she was always willing to play that music with us.

Most of this music was also of the country variety. Knowing my Aunt Teresa now, this surprises me, because she is not the typical pusher of country music. But almost all of Aunt Teresa's country songs were fun. Perhaps most popular on our little road trips was the song "The Devil went down to Georgia" by Charlie Daniels. Another well worn favorite song was "Elvira" by the Oak Ridge Boys. I am sure my parents played these as well, but I associate them with my Aunt Teresa.

My aunt was also a big Stray Cats fan at this time. All of us kids LOVED the Stray Cats, and their reprisal of 50's style music. It was fun and playful.

No comments:

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...