Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Biography in Music: Middle School--The CCM Years


In between elementary school and middle school I had a major spiritual awakening impact my life. All of the sudden, everything changed. My politics went from liberal to conservative. I started to feel guilty about wearing shorts in the summer. And my music went from ecclectic to shunning all secular music whatsoever.
Thus, we listened to a radio station in Ashland called K-DOVE. I learned to appreciate the musical stylings of Carmen, Sandi Patti, the Winans, and Amy Grant. Of course, my church declared that all of the music I had listened to before was of the Devil. So, much of the music I had before went into the garbage as an act of compliance toward my faith.
Of the CCM artists of the mid-80s, Amy Grant was my favorite at the time. My church taught that all rock music had its roots with African Witch Doctors (can anyone say racism?), and that much of Christian music was thus corrupted because it had occult rhythms. Thus, kids should listen only to sacred music and classical music (what about the pagan stylings of Stravinsky?), and most "Christian" music was actually also evil. Thank God we moved before my freshman year in high school. Among many other things, it would eventually let me listen to some half-way decent music again.
To this day, if I have to listen to a song recorded by Sandi Patti, I want to hit someone.

2 comments:

larkswing said...

lol - Sandi Patti giving you the urge to hit. hehe Did your church ever have are record/cassette burning? Ours did once. I still remember how I felt uneasy about that.

I bet many a person can relate to this post. :)

reliv4life said...

I can remember I guy coming to our church and doing a presentation in the sanctuary on a sunday night. He played rock songs backward and we listened to the "evil" things said!

Do you like Amy Grant now? I have stuff I listened to of hers on my ipod today! of course it is mixed in with queen and joan jett...

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...