Sunday, July 02, 2006

Postmodern Armour

I was sitting at home getting things ready to go to the laundromat and do 7 loads of laundry, and I got sucked into the show on the STYLE network called "How do I look?"

The whole show is about people getting a makeover of their appearance and getting a whole new set of clothes to change their image a little bit. This week there was this junior high goth home schooler that was on. And she was talking about her clothes as if they were her armour. They made her tough and protected her from bullies. The coat she made had been with her as she escaped life threatening danger.

And it got me to thinking....I think for some of us, using clothing as armour is more common than one might think. My boss likes to wear robes on Sunday. I am convinced that this in part is a protection device...a way of putting a distance between him and the rest of the congegation. Some folks dress sloppy so they wont be judges. And then, a lot of us wear clothes a certain way to hide faults in our appearance. And some wear a noticeable lack of clothes, sometimes, in part to protect themselves from people getting to really know them as a person.

There are a lot of ways I am convinced we use clothes as armour. Even wearing the "power" suit.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good thoughts Friar :)

But methinks that you have too many clothes if you can wait until you have seven loads full before you head off to the Laundromat.

Aphra said...

I used to dress in baggy sweaters and all to protect myself from unwanted male attention. Now that I feel more secure, I don't wear clothes as protection any more.

Meadow said...

Keen observations. :)

Oricon Ailin said...

I very much agree with you Clint.

After having been assaulted by a guy at age 17, I wore baggy, unattractive clothing to protect myself. I didn't want any attention from guys. I didn't want ANYONE to notice me in fact.

Now, I wear clothes that are baggy again, mostly to hide my unattractive "chub".

rubyslipperlady said...

I think I've mentioned this before, but I almost did my thesis on a similar topic as to what we communicate when we dress and I was going to analyze that movie I've completely forgotten the name of with Jack & Diane Keaton. dang it. can't remember. Anyway, great thoughts!

San Nakji said...

You art wise oh Friar. I was feeling veyr out of place the other night at a Serenity (movie) showing. Some of the people around me were even wearing premodern armour... It's all about belonging or avoiding.

Erin said...

Keep thinking about how true this has been for me. And I keep thinking about my steel-toe boots. When I wear those boots, I feel my most confident, stand taller, and strangely feel the my most attractive/feminine. Guess that all comes with the confidence.

Anonymous said...

Very interesting insight! I think I do this all the time. Hmmm.............

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...