Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Boundaries and Assertiveness

A couple of weeks ago I met with a number of ministers. As we shared prayer request, I asked for prayer on knowing when to be courageous and when not to be as a pastor. All the pastors spoke up with advice. This made me angry because I was not seeking their advice but God's guidance. Their answers made it apparent to me (although not to them), that these kinds of questions were not an issue for them at all in their life. They did not struggle with the courage question. As I thought about it more, I realized that many of them already had an internal sense of how to establish themselves in such a way that they communicated love to their congregations and had enough boundaries and forthrightness to speak up when necessary. And, they had this comptency in every area of their lives. I, on the other hand, have spent a lot of my life trying to be good, make people happy, and do the right thing, often putting myself and my needs as last in consideration. After all, isnt that what we are taught as kids in Sunday School. Jesus comes first. Then others have the next priority. Then I am supposed to take last place.

The last couple of weeks I have been thinking a little bit about my boundaries. Specifically, I was thinking about them in relationship to the church. When do I speak up? When do I keep my mouth shut? When am I better of waiting to move forward? How fast do I move this little church forward? What things do I insist on change? What things is God trying to get me to change with as I adapt here instead of asking the church to change? How do my choices now effect my relationship with the congregation long term (I have especially thought about that one)

Mostly though, I think about when to be assertive and when not to be. Being an associate pastor for the last 10 years in one form or another, I knew that part of my boundaries were to support the direction of the senior pastor. Now I am a solo pastor in a strange new place.

One place I struggle is dealing with financial support. We are a small church. The finance person uses a spiral bound notebook for her ledger. Should I ask for clarification on questions about my financial support since I don't have a check stub? Are they going to think I am a money grubber if I do?

Another place has to do with privacy in the parsonage. Some folks walk in to the parsonage when we are gone without even asking us for permission to do so. One wanted to see what our newly remodled bathroom looked like. Another wanted to drop off a joke. Others had other reasons. But, it makes us both (but especially my wife) a little anxious that people are entering our home and spending time in it with us gone without permission.

As I started thinking through these issues, I began to realize that my assertiveness boundaries are not just something I struggle with at work, they are something I struggle with everywhere. As I young child I was strong-willed, and often asserted myself without regard for others. As I grew, I was taught this was innappropriate. In certain facets of my life, I wonder if I have over corrected. I also at times have had a bad temper. To deal with my bad temper, I learned to control my temper by forcing myself to take time to respond to issues. This in turn led to delayed anger, where I am ok with things in the moment, and then get more upset about them as time goes on. By the time I am ready to deal with a small thing that has grown big in my mind, the time has passed to address it.

Some ways I do well with appropriate boundries and assertiveness. Leading and participating in meetings. Standing my ground on theological convictions. Other times I gulp down and do not assert myself out of fear that I am being too selfish and petty. Sometimes this is good. Sometimes I let this fester in my family, my church, and with my friends as well.

The fact that this is not simply a work problem, but a personal problem in finding a comfort zone with this issue.

Anyway...something I am working on...

4 comments:

Drea Inspired said...

You know, Clint. I think if you ever find yourself thinking "maybe I should speak up" then you most likely need to speak up. But I do believe that God will guide you and in time you won't even think about it. You'll just find yourself saying what people need to hear when they need to hear it.

Will De Hart said...

As a lead pastor at a new place, you are in the process of establishing your authority over that territory. God has called you there, and has given you a mandate to take care of that garden. The issue of leadership then is essentially one of hearing the Lord. God is in the process of helping all of us create a sanctuary, a tasty slice of heaven, in the midst of this obligating world. Both you and the congregation need this sanctuary. To get it, you will have to take authority.

“The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet.” (Rom 16:20) It is interesting to me that this aspect of God’s nature—peace, is connected with dominion over the enemy. Boundaries are essential for establishing the peace of God in ourselves. To establish boundaries here and now is to take authority here and now. Going into a new church, they need to know and understand your needs, boundaries, and sphere of authority. They will feel loved long term and you will feel peace sooner if you act. To do this requires that you 1) hear your heart and the trouble it testifies of; 2) Bring it to the Lord in prayer. 3) Hear His response and move in faith. 4) Speak your boundaries creating lines of authority over your territory.

People may get mad when you do this. This is behind the courage question. They like having authority over your territory. But it is not their place, and there is only you to set up a covering over your family and congregation. When you move in faith, establishing your lines of authority, you actually create the Lord’s yoke in your midst, which is much easier to bear.

reliv4life said...

boundaries are a tough one for me...I grew up with out much help in this area...I am improving quite a bit, I can say what I need without coming across totally rude. I would really NOT be OK with people coming into my house.

David Cho said...

If I may chime in...

I have no idea what "spiritual authority" looks like. Many times in my life upon joining a church, the first thing I have been told was to "submit to the spiritual authority of the pastor."

But it has never been defined to me.

Authority works well if boundaries are well defined. A cop has the authority to pull me over for an infraction well defined by the law. It works really well. But once they step outside the bounds of law, or if laws are too vague and highly interpretive such is the case in most third world countries, "authority" no longer works. It becomes a tool of tyranny and corruption.

What are the boundaries of spiritual leadership?

When one asserts authority, one must do so with its limitations and boundaries well defined. You cannot come out swinging, which is a sure recipe for disaster.

The term "spiritual authority" seems very vague to me. It's not in the Bible, although you can argue with verses pulled from various places to support the notion, which only adds to vagueness and confusion.

"Touch not the Lord's anointed."

Bleh...

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...