Monday, July 07, 2008

Speed Dating DoggieEdition



Jen and I have been considering getting a dog. We have talked about it off and on for a little while, but have become more serious lately. Jen is more eager to have a dog, yet I fear that once we have pets I will be the one to be more emotionally attached to the pet.

Last Saturday we almost adopted two female dogs named Annie and Betty Boop (Jen does not like the name Betty Boop). They were strays that are very close friends. They snuggle when they sleep, and they share the same pen at the animal shelter. We were very close to adopting both of them, until I started calculating how much work we were going to have to do to get the home ready for the dogs, how much it was going to cost to adopt two dogs, and set up the home for two dogs, and buy all the stuff we were going to need to make a home for them. Also, the dogs were most likely not housetrained.

Today I had to run an errand in Pueblo, and stopped by the shelter and visited another dog while we were there. His name is Jake. Jake is a mix between and English Springer Spaniel and a Great Pyranees. He is a little high energy, but I like him. He is supposed to be neutred, housetrained, and good with people. I was tempted to get him this afternoon, but thought it best that Jen and I take our time.

4 comments:

David Cho said...

Your links go to the general website. Did you mean to link to their pictures?

How awesome for you to decide to rescue pets! Shelter dogs are the best, and you will not regret it.

Friar Tuck said...

The links are fixed. Thanks for the help.

laura k said...

Hi Friar Tuck, I'm a friend of David's. I just wanted to wish you good luck on your dog adoption. Hooray for you for adopting a shelter dog!

My husband and I have had rescue dogs for more than 20 years. Rescue dogs are the best!

I fear that once we have pets I will be the one to be more emotionally attached to the pet

No need to fear it. The bond you will share with your dog will be among the greatest gifts of your life.

I think your instincts about adopting 2 dogs at once are very good. It's probably best to adopt one, get accustomed to having a dog, go through that change in your life, then adopt a second later. Going from a dog-less home to a doggie home is a big adjustment. Adding the second dog is a piece of cake!

Best of luck to you and your wife and your new arrival, whoever he or she turns out to be.

reliv4life said...

Dogs are so great - but it is a serious commitment. hope you find the perfect pet for you both!

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...