Friday, November 25, 2011

Book Review of Ten Commandments from the Backside by J. Ellsworth Kalas


I recently finished a preaching series on the Ten Commandments. In the coming days, I am reviewing some of my resources that I used in preparing those sermons. This is one such review.

J. Ellsworth Kalas is a professor of homiletics at Asbury Theological Seminary. He is also a prolific author. Perhaps some of his most popular books are in the "from the backside" series. In this "from the backside" series, Kalas helps his readers see the good news in Scripture by guiding them to see the Scripture from the vantage point of someone who has a "backstage pass" to the awesome things God is trying to do through his Word.

In  The Ten Commandments from the Backside Kalas produces a solid book that explains the good news of the Ten Commandments for the common person. He often addresses his readers by restating the "thou shalt nots" as positive statements for living well.

Kalas shares a number of good stories throughout this book. He also brings a down-to-earth practicality to the text which reminds his readers about why each of the Ten Commandments is important.

If you are interested in understanding the Ten Commandments as grace and truth, I recommend you purchase this book soon. I found it very helpful in enriching my understanding of the text. I am sure you will too.

No comments:

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...