Monday, January 14, 2013

Book Review Deeply Loved by Keri Wyatt Kent

Deeply Loved
by Keri Wyatt Kent
ISBN 978-1-4267-4481-1
Abingdon Press
Reviewed by Clint Walker

Keri Wyatt Kent is a prolific author. I like much of what she has to say. She is down to earth, a good communicator, and has a love for the Lord and helping people grow closer to Him through what she writes. Lately, she sent me her most recent book in hopes that I would review it like I have reviewed many of her previous books. I was happy to oblige. I was even more excited to see this book was written for Abingdon Press, which is one of the publishing houses for one of the denominations that our local church represents.

Kent's most recent book is a 40 day devotional called Deeply Loved. Designed to probably be used during Lent, or some other 40 day spiritual adventure, this book gently leads its readers into deeper waters in their faith journey. By slowly guiding her readers to be more and more immersed in an everyday person's journey into basic spiritual disciplines, Ms. Kent challenges her readers to allow for God's presence in the exciting and mundane experiences of everyday life. I enjoy reading a lot of similar literature for my own spiritual edification, but at times have a hard time communicating the basic concepts of spiritual formation to friends and parishoners. Where I often fail in not being able to get things from my head to my mouth, Deeply Loved succeeds at putting on paper in a simple devotional.

The largest drawback to this book, and I hate to mention it, is that some men reading this book will think this is another one of those books for a Christian housewife bent on delving deeper into religion.   Kent does not necessarily write the book for a feminine audience, but several of the examples from her everyday life are more maternal and feminine in nature. This, of course, is perfectly acceptable, as there are a lot of similar books written by men with masculine perspective. However, the book might not be the favorite of the man in the family who likes to spend his spare time in the garage or out shooting something.

All in all, though, a fine book by Ms. Kent. After Deeply Loved, I eagerly await seeing what her next project will be.

No comments:

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...