Wednesday, September 05, 2007

The Pick-up Artist


The man in goggles is named "Mystery". Mystery hosts a show called "The Pick-Up Artist", in which he is an expert in picking up chicks. He is the role model for several single men who have struggled in their relationships with women for most of their lives. When I first flipped through this show, I thought "what the h**l is this?" There is this androgenous, metrosexual man coaching young men on how to be successful ladies. What would he know?

It turns out, the show is really good, but not for the reasons I might have anticipated. It is a good show because it helps the men who are involved grow and feel better about themselves. Mystery seems like a manipulator and a player. The men involved, however, seem to grow in there abilities to connect with and relate to people. They begin to see themselves as persons of value, inside and outside of the romantic realm. The skills that they learn work not only because they are basic assets of good "game" with the ladies, but because they free the men to step out from behind their fears and confidently relate to women.

I think there is something that is very primal about this. A lot of times psychology tries to build confidence through self-esteeem enhancement. If you want to build confidence in people, build a sense in their lives that they are competent with things. Give them skills. Allow them to have small sucesses and build on them. Don't just give them daily affirmations.

4 comments:

tonymyles said...

Saw this guy on a talk show... he confessed that it's just a gig for him after many failed jobs. Also said the goggles are his trick.

Funny... never worked for me during junior high swimming.

SUPER said...

I've seen this show. I love the guys that are the learners...Mystery and his crew annoy the heck out of me. I decided I couldn't watch it anymore, because they were so annoying. Although I did see that my fave has been kicked off. I think his name was Josh?? He always wore plaid pants it seemed..and a hat.

Frasier said...

I havent seen the show but like the idea behind it.I hate it when people typecast people because of how they look esp kids

Brotha Buck said...

And it's filmed right here in my home town. Now that's weird to watch. And last night when I watched (And I never watch TV), I thought it was strange, too. This creepy, gothic, from-another-world guy, wearing mascara, giving these nerds advice on how to pick up a stripper.

Book Review of Little Prayers for Ordinary Days by Katy Bowser Hutson, Flo Paris Oaks, and Tish Harrison Warren and illustrated by Liita Forsyth

Little Prayers for Ordinary Days by Katie Bowser Hutson, Flo Paris Oakes, and Tish Harrison Warren IVP Kids ISBN 978-1-5140-0039-8 Reviewed ...