Monday, August 31, 2009

Biography in Music: Introduction


I was sitting in my hotel room with my roommate for my conference, and we begin to discuss music. John Polite (J.P.) was a Christian rapper at one point, a fact which he is now less than excited about. Now, when he gets to do musical stuff, he tends to do praise and worship stuff with a guitar. We visited about what kinds of music he likes. He shared that he enjoyed just about everything but country. I tried to change his mind. It was no use. He brought up that there were very few African-Americans that were country musicians. I thought about giving a brief history of how country music became a part of my musical background, but it was getting late and the moment was lost.

Today I was remembering this experience, and thinking about how we all have "soundtracks" of our lives. So in the next few days, I will be talking about different eras of my life, and the music that was important to me in each of them. In the process, I hope to think about how those musical memories are either reflective of my life, or influential in my life. I would love to hear your input.

1 comment:

Eric L said...

the comment box doesn't have enough room, so I'll blog about it this week.

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...