Sunday, January 09, 2011

Lessons Learned--First Week

I have been doing this weight watchers thing with Jennifer for 5 days now. Here are my initial observations:

About the method
I really enjoy the method of weight watchers online. I am able to manage it much the same as I might manage my budget. I have so many points that I am given for the day, and I am asked to keep my "spending" within that a certain limit. I am also given extra points for a given week, which function as a small "cheat" to the diet as you go along.

For me, it is really helpful to view what I eat or don't eat in terms of "cost". I want a candy bar, but I have to ask myself, "How many points will that cost? Is it worth it?" I think it is helpful to view things this way. Because in some very real ways what we eat or do not eat does cost us. Thus, the system works to train you in eating the right things, and not just the right amount of things.

One of the most surprising things to me is how much of a role fiber plays in how much points something has. If something has a lot of fiber, then you should eat a lot of it, because its points will be minimized.

The diet trains you to eat the "right" things. Most fruits and veggies have zero points, and thus cost nothing against your diet.

Each diet is individualized based upon gender and weight, which I also think is interesting. I weigh more than my wife, so I am allowed more points. As I lose weight, my points are reduced. Weight watchers is shrinking my stomach and my appetite based on where I am at, and gradually helping me lose weight without starving me. I like that. I think it is better at producing life change.

On My Thinking

I am not sure my thinking is changing as much as I might have hoped. I thinking that say, in a year or so, when I am done with my WW journey, that I will be able to have a montser cheeseburger with fries. Or go to a pizza buffet. Or have a chicken bacon ranch sub sandwich. It is probably better to put these things behind me, but I have yet to do so.

On the other hand, I think a dietary change like this is something I could work with long term. I am not starving. I get the munchies, but I have not been hungry.

For once tomorrow I am eager to go to the scale and see if I have had any results. We will see how that goes...

2 comments:

Christine Cavanaugh said...

Good job and good luck! :) My brother lost a lot of weight using Weight Watchers online and has never been healthier.

larkswing said...

Have fun hitting the scale! I have several customers who follow weight watchers. I have fun finding recipes that fit in with their routine/taste and it is easier to do than other diet programs :)

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...