Monday, February 03, 2014

Some personal goals in 2014



Yeah, it has been that kind of time in our lives. Instead of considering my goals at the beginning of the new year, I am just now getting to it at the beginning of February. So here are some things that I am thinking about.

1. Couch to 5k to 10k
I know, this is a fat person's cliché. I'll own that. But I am going to run in a race with my sister in late June or early July. Then I am going to push to a 10k by the end of the summer. Training day starts today, if I can get to the point where I don't feel sick anytime I drink anything or move very fast.

2. Apply to a D.Min program or two
Not sure how this is going to work. Don't think I can afford to go. Don't know if my family concerns will allow me to be gone when I need to be gone to do it. But, I am going to put in a few applications by faith and see what happens.

3. Develop a support network for my ministry
One of the things that helped develop me as a minister throughout my career is to develop support people and/or a network of support. In Montana we prayed together as pastors, and I had a couple of pastors that offered me support and encouragement as a church leader other than my senior pastor. In Fowler, I had a group of ministers that helped keep me sane and gave me a lot of support, encouragement and occasionally guidance. I feel very isolated in Hot Springs. Very disconnected from my denomination, from other folks in ministry, and from much of the rest of he world in ministry. I need to change that.

4. Extrovert myself
I lean toward introversion. I need to find ways, for my personal mental health as well as for my ministerial success, to find social outlets in our community. I have thought about bowling, a golf league, or something similar. Need to figure this out...

5. Develop some structures for my daily disciplines
Disciplines of reading and prayer, exercise and study, organization and financial management all need to be revisited and addressed. I need to not just have good intentions, but find ways to develop habits that facilitate discipline.

What are your goals for 2014? What are your thoughts or insights on these?

No comments:

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...