Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Book Review of God's Great Blessings Devotional by Patricia Raybon

God's Great Blessings Devotional
by Patricia Raybon
ISBN 978-1-4143-3871-2
Tyndale Publishing
Reviewed by Clint Walker




While Jennifer was in cancer treatment and sleeping last week I went out to run around town a little bit. And when I say run around town, I mean look at office supplies and books. So, after leaving Office Max I headed to BAM to look over what might be on sale.

Last time I was at BAM was a little after Christmas, and I had noticed this devotional on the shelf that looked good, but it was much too expensive. When I returned last week it was still on the shelf, and it was  was half-off! So I purchased the book right away, and I have not regretted it.

Currently, I am trying to work through a week a day until I get caught up on where I am supposed to be for the year with this devotional. Both the appearance of the book (a light green color with greenery), and the fact that the author is female could fool you into thinking the devotional is targeted at women, but I have found this to be far from the truth. This is a very well-written, human devotional full of thoughtful insights on Christian living.

A little research will demonstrate that Patricia Raybon is a very accomplished writer, and crafting a devotional such as this could be considered a little below her pay grade. A professor, journalist, and author of several books, Raybon is respected for her writing skill throughout the country.She has partnered with nationally respected ministries in the past, as well as wrote for publications such as The New York Times, Newsweek, and USA Today.

Each week in this devotional has a theme. As the week goes on, Raybon shares six different thoughts about the theme for the week, and then at the end of the week there is a day that is open for the reader to respond and think about what they have learned over the 7 days. After the reflection questions, the whole process starts again. Again it is very well done.

If you are looking for a devotional that challenges you to think and feel the gospel, this is the study for you. Purchase one at your nearest bookstore before they are all snapped up.



No comments:

Book Review of Little Prayers for Ordinary Days by Katy Bowser Hutson, Flo Paris Oaks, and Tish Harrison Warren and illustrated by Liita Forsyth

Little Prayers for Ordinary Days by Katie Bowser Hutson, Flo Paris Oakes, and Tish Harrison Warren IVP Kids ISBN 978-1-5140-0039-8 Reviewed ...