Tuesday, December 21, 2004

More Quotes for today

Christianity began in Palestine as a relationship, moved to Greece and became an idea, went to Rome and became an institution, then came to America and became an enterprise.--
Richard Halverson

Tradition is..democracy extended through time.--
Chesterton

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot help the few who are rich--
John Kennedy

Catholics know how to party..Can you imagine Lutherans or Presbyterians or Baptists creating Mardi Gras?--
Brian McLaren

The bible knows nothing of solitary religion.--
John Wesley

Give me one hundred preachers who fear nothing but sin and desire nothing but God, and I care not whether they be clergymen or laymen, they alone will shake the gates of Hell and set up the kingdom of Heaven upon Earth.--
John Wesley

Truth is so obscure in these times, and falsehood so established, that, unless we love the truth, we cannot know it.--
Pascal

God loves with a great love the man whose heart is bursting with a passion for the IMPOSSIBLE.--
William Booth

Enthusiasm is as good a thing in the Church as fire is in a cook stove--
Billy Sunday

Some people want to see God with their eyes as they see a cow, and to love Him as they love their cow - for the milk and cheese and profit it brings them. This is how it is with people who love God for the sake of outward wealth or inward comfort. They do not rightly love God, when they love Him for their own advantage. Indeed, I tell you the truth, any object you have in your mind, however good, will be a barrier between you and the inmost Truth.--
Meister Eckhart (1260?-1327?)

There is nothing that we can see on earth which does not either show the wretchedness of man or the mercy of God. One either sees the powerlessness of man without God, or the strength of man with God.--
Blaise Pascal

I am not what I ought to be. I am not what I want to be. I am not what I hope to be. But still, I am not what I used to be. And by the grace of God, I am what I am. --John Newton (1725-1807)






No comments:

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...