Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Controlling the Squirrel

I have stated in a previous post that we are all part squirrel. Now I want to share with you one way I tame the squirrel.

First of all I have a confession to make. There are times when I just want to shop for shopping sake. I want to go purchase something nice for myself just as a treat. But I do not have enough money to be a high-maintenence squirrel, chasing after big shiny things. So what do I do?

To control the squirel I shop for cheap shiny things. Most often, I shop specifically for pens. Sharpie minis. Sharpie mini highlighters. Staples Xeno pens. Whatever the pen is, I like pens. And one package of pens can often soothe that need to shop for something fun and shiny for only a few bucks.

So, I always have lots of pens in my backpack.

How do you tame the squirrel-like desire to accumulate new shiny things?

5 comments:

Oricon Ailin said...

This is really funny. I always say I have an "office supply addiction".

I buy pens, notepads, markers, folders, everything! I just have this need to have lots of pens. The neater they are, the more I want them.

Are you sure we aren't made from the same mold??? heheh

SUPER said...

I don't control it ..not very well anyway. I tend to buy what it was I wanted..and then regret it later!

Or...I try to walk around with it in the store for a while...usually the longer I walk around, the easier it is for me to realize I should PUT IT BACK!

San Nakji said...

Through inner conflict! Arrrggghhh! It's happening right now!

Pens are nice ;o)

rubyslipperlady said...

Scrapbooking supplies. Particularly albums and paper. It's an addiction really. And now I've decided to sell it? Was that really a good decision. HELL YA!

Gretchen said...

That is so funny! I understand the "squirrel" mentality. My need for new and shiny stuff manifests itself in hair products and makeup. I can't even go near Sephora which is all about the shiny yummy smelling products.

Book Review of Little Prayers for Ordinary Days by Katy Bowser Hutson, Flo Paris Oaks, and Tish Harrison Warren and illustrated by Liita Forsyth

Little Prayers for Ordinary Days by Katie Bowser Hutson, Flo Paris Oakes, and Tish Harrison Warren IVP Kids ISBN 978-1-5140-0039-8 Reviewed ...