Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Live Blogging the Inaguration

933am

Interesting contrast between the three news channels. FOXNEWS is a lot louder than every station at the same volume. And they spend a lot of time talking about how good looking Michelle Obama and Jill Biden are. Interesting.

Also, Brit Hume mentions "President Clinton always appears as though he is searching for the right expression on his face". So true, Brit, so true.

I think that my dog may be a Republican. As soon as it goes on CNN, he goes into the other room. He does not want to witness the innaugriation.

938am
Dick Cheney in a wheelchair? I guess he twisted his back trying to move his own stuff. Typical, having to do all the heavy lifting himself. Dont VPs have movers?

A lot of different stations talking about the peaceful transition of power.

Why do all dignitaries work hard not to smile. This is one thing I enjoy about Biden. He is planning on enjoying the heck out of the whole thing.

941am
Huge crowd. It is really amazing how many people are there.

FOX has as its team Brit Hume, Chris Wallace, and Juan Williams.

CNN Anderson Cooper and Wolf Blitzer
Interesting how many journalists for American politics are not American born

944am
Goose bumps as Obama enters. This really is an amazing moment in American history. Each station seems to mention the slaves building the White House. Each station also echos the beauty in American democracy of the non-violent transition of power. Diane Fienstein echos this.

947am
Diane Fiendstein is speaking. Polticians like preachers always have to preach there sermon

Rick Warren is speaking/praying. He is very expressive, and he actually sounds a little nervous. He is also preaching more than praying. His prayer may go as long as some of the speeches. But it is well done and gracious. Ending with the Lord's Prayer is a very nice and moving touch. Allows all to participate.

Aretha Franklin singing. I did not know that was going to happen. Nice touch. Sounds great. I find this particularly moving for some reason as well. I think because it is another example of someone coming from nowhere to stand in the highest and most honored stages in the world. Only in America.

I disagree with a lot of Biden's politics, but I think he is a fun guy and I like him. He seems like someone you could hang out with for a little while. I like how he raises his hands and shrugs to his friends in the Senate.

MSNBC has Keith Olbermann, Chris Matthews, Rachel Maddow, and Eugene Robinson. Man do I miss Russert on moments like these. Keith Olbermann and Maddow drive me nuts. I enjoy listening to Matthews and Robinson.

The quartet is amazing, and an interesting way of introducing more diversity. A jew, an asian, a black man, and a white man. I love both Air and simple gifts. Especially simple gifts.

"Dance then...where ever you may be....for I am the Lord of the Dance said he" (the worship song based on the tune for simple gifts. I truly believe this was part of the thought.)

Obama is nervous a little bit. Actually I think a little emotional. I like that it was a little awkward in the swearing in. Seems more authentic.

There is now a man on MSNBC a YES WE CAN t shirt screaming Yeah...Yeah. I think he may have some bling on as well.

I think as the president gives his speech there is a moment that he realizes how big the moment is. Bigger than him. Maybe even bigger than the country he has chosen to serve.

At times Obama speeches can seem pedantic. This speech seems very strong and muscular. Short declarative sentences. Excellent approach.

"The nation cannot prosper long when it favors only the prosperous"--good line

For a post-partisan speech, this speech seems very partisan. I wonder if that is common.

His speech to the enemies of America is strong. It is good to have that part in the speech.

"your people will judge you on what you can build..not what you destroy"

This is a smart speech. Intelligent and inspiring at the same time.

Washington quote is brilliant.

All in all a well done speech.

As you watch the greetings after the speech, it appears Bush and Obama get along. Michelle was crying.

I like the poem--especially the "all about me is..." stuff.
"what if the mightiest word is love.."

I like the benediction. It too is also long.

tanks shall be beaten into tractors.......this is an excellent retelling of the swords into plowshares

the whole racial thing at the end was both funny and a good touch.

Will be interesting to hear the commentary.....and then get to work

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I was in a meeting at the time of the speech and enjoyed your review. On NPR over lunch the commentators sounded disappointed that the speech was understated and not over the top rhetorically like the campaign speeches.

It will be interesting to hear it later.

reliv4life said...

I felt the same about a lot of what you said, honestly, I do not care for Biden, but you can't watch him without having the feeling he is a genuine nice guy. I LOVE the ending prayer. I don't recall ever watching an inaguration to this length - we went to mom's and watched it on the big screen - we all cried, even Jake a bit. Well, not lizzie, she was mostly bored... :)

Steve said...

Did you know that Obama is the first black president? Apparently ABC doesn't think we do. I watched one hour of the parade and this fact was mentioned 114 times. Did they think we hadn't noticed or that we are just too stupid to realize the significance, hence the need to be reminded once every 27 seconds.
I thought it was one of the more mediocre speeches I've heard Obama give.

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...