Saturday, January 24, 2009

Recent Movies







Jennifer and I recieved a nexflix subscription for Christmas. So far, we have watched three movies.

The first movie that we watched was Charlie Wilson's war. I was both entertained and educated by this fine movie. For instance, I was unaware that taking over Afganistan would have allowed the Soviet Union control the flow of oil through the Middle East. I love biopics that tell true stories about real people. Charlie Wilson's war does this, and by doing this informs America about a lesser known part of its intelligence/military history.


One of the things that intrigued me about this movie is that I began to wonder what the agenda of the movie maker was in light of current events in the middle east. The quote at the end of the movie mad me think that it was making a more liberal statement, but the movie as a whole made me wonder if they were endorsing what we were doing in the so-called "war on terror".

The second movie was "Righteous Kill". This was an entertaining movie. The ending would have really surprised me if my wife had not guessed the ending a head of time. Any crime flick with DeNiro and Pacino is good, and this was no exception. No thought provoking stuff though, it was just mindless entertainment.

The third movie was "Traitor" and we saw that last night. This was a high-energy, thought-provoking, brilliant movie about a double agent played by Don Cheadle. It is a movie about international terrorists that slowly make their way to America. Watching it, you wonder how close we are to more terrorist attacks on our own shores. This is a man-flick, full of a lot of energy, gunfire, and suspense. I would recommend seeing this movie more than any of them so far.

1 comment:

reliv4life said...

I have not seen any of these. I LOVE netflix - do you? It is nice to just have the movie sitting here waiting when you have time to watch it.
We went and saw Valkyrie - we liked it. Well, sean liked it - I was a nervous wreck. Finally - reag says, "Mom sit back and relax - you know they will fail anyway!" I looked at her and said, "how do you know?" they have laughed at me ever since. :)

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...