Monday, January 12, 2009

It’s For the Birds

Why are so many NFL teams named after birds? Are they really that ferocious? This next week the teams in the conference championships include three teams named after birds: the Baltimore Ravens, Arizona Cardinals, and the Philadelphia Eagles. The Pittsburg Steelers are also in the conference championship. Now, as most of you know, my team is also names after a bird, the Seattle Seahawks. To me, though, I wonder if a bird is an appropriate mascot.

My wife is afraid of birds. I think she was traumatized by the movie "The Birds" as a child.

So, do you think a bird is an appropriate mascot?

If so, which out of the ones below do you find the most frightening?:

Seattle Seahawks

Arizona Cardinals

Atlanta Falcons

Philadelphia Eagles

Baltimore Ravens

5 comments:

reliv4life said...

Ravens sound the most frightening to me I guess. I is odd. Reagan is terrified of birds, and she is scared of very little. Birds and clowns. Birds cuz we went to one of those drive thru wildlife things and an ostrich stuck it's head in the window right in her face when she was 2. She climbed over both seats and was plastered to the back doors of the suburban within minutes screaming. She has hated birds ever since!

Stan Harrington said...

Denver Broncos, I know it is not a bird, but if you spend much time around a corral you will find that horses feed a lot of birds. Now, I like birds of all types, but as much time as I have spent on the water I have never seen a Seahawk, now I have seem thousands of "flying fish" but no Seahawk in sight. Perhaps they are mythical, if that is the case, I guess the opportunity that Seattle will ever win a Super Bowl is also a myth. Would have rather see them stay in the AFC West and play Denver twice a year. The AFC West has two horses, Bronco's and Chargers but no birds to beat up on.

Jason Bowker said...

I would agree with reliv4life that a Raven sounds the most frightening (big, scary bird...plus the poem). You're right stan...what is a Seahawk. As someone who lives in Seattle, I'm not sure I can cheer for a mythical mascot.
@Stan: I'm not sure what a "Charger" is, but I don't think it is a horse--it is short for "supercharger"

Stan Harrington said...

Ah, I can see a generational gap! In the "olden" days when soldiers rode into battle on horseback, the horse was referred as a "Charger" therefore a "War-Horse". Now the lightening bolt on the Charger helmet is strange, perhaps signifying an electrical charge, since they have "lineman" perhaps they considered themselves as a electrical utility company. In my humble thoughts, they remain in the horse family.

Brea said...

GO RAVENS!!!! :)

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...