Sunday, June 05, 2005

Homecomings are always a mixed blessing

I have spent the week driving to and arriving at Belgrade, MT.

I served this church in Belgrade for 5 years. It is a wonderful church full of wonderful people. It is also a difficult church filled with difficult people.

I lived in Belgrade for longer than I lived in any one town for most of my life. I lived in Roseburg OR, until I was 10, but I lived in small unincorperated towns in the surrounding area really. I lived in Glide, Winston, and Melrose, then I lived in Roseburg proper for four years.

Homecomings are always great because you are surrounded by people who appreciate you and want the best for you. Sometimes I am overwhelmed by getting to see people here and the high level of regard I am held in. It is odd to recieve so many hugs, so many kind words, so many loving gestures from people. I feel like I am truly appreciated here as I visit.

I also realize how much things say the same, and why I moved on from here. All the drama. Having to deal with the same people's issues, the same insecurities, the same people I want to say things to but cant. In some ways it seems like it has been forever since I have been here, on the other hand it seems like it was just yesterday.

It is really not all that different than when I went home after college. On one hand it was comfortable to be home, on the other hand it felt like things had passed me by.

Ever have an experience like that?

4 comments:

JanetsJourney.com said...

Yes have felt like that! Nice thing about visiting...you get to leave again!

Don Tate II said...

yes, Im just returning home tonight and am totally feelin' ya. I love Iowa, and had planned to return someday. But after my visit, I think I can finally say, Im glad to be an Austinite and former Iowan.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes the past just has to be left in the past. Actually... I came to that realisation just two weeks or so ago... and about time I did, really.

Brea said...

Yes, just had the experience this weekend! But what a great reminder of how much you have grown and changed. That's what homecomings are all about!

Book Review of Little Prayers for Ordinary Days by Katy Bowser Hutson, Flo Paris Oaks, and Tish Harrison Warren and illustrated by Liita Forsyth

Little Prayers for Ordinary Days by Katie Bowser Hutson, Flo Paris Oakes, and Tish Harrison Warren IVP Kids ISBN 978-1-5140-0039-8 Reviewed ...