Thursday, June 09, 2005

Merton Quotes

The things that I thought were so important--because of the effort that I put into them--have turned out to be of small value. And the things that I never thought about, the things that I was never able to measure or expect were the things that really mattered.

A life is either all spiritual or not spiritual at all. No man can serve two masters. Your life is shaped by the end you live for. You are made in the image you desire.

The more we love earthly things, reputation, importance, ease, success, and pleasures for ourselves, the less we love God.

My first human act is the recognition of how much I owe everyone else.

1 comment:

Oricon Ailin said...

Wow...these really make you think.

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...