Friday, March 23, 2007

Book Review of Bell's Sex God


I just finished my study of the new Rob Bell book SexGod:Exploring the Endless Connections Between Sexuality and Sprirituality. All in all, I highly recommend it as a good read.
First of all, I think it is important to note, as Ben Witherington III did, that Bell's writing has greatly improved. Purely for reading sake, I enjoyed reading this book more than I did Velvet Elvis. While Bell's first book has some insightful, helpful words about what he thinks and believes, this book shows the heart of a pastor serving in a congregation of believers that struggle with their sexual ethics and behavior. In a graceful and compassionate way, he lays out what he believes to be a biblical view of sexuality.
Bell uses the word "sex" as a metaphor to communicate our embodied nature, and our desire to connect with one another in deep, meaninful ways. He spends a lot of time discussing romantic and marital relationships, but he also spends a lot of time connecting our ways of relating as sexual, embodied beings to the world around us in platonic, non-genital ways.
He tells some powerful stories, and does a good job at relating things that one would not connect with one another. Whether he is talking about Jessica Simpson and Nich Lachey, or he is talking about a releasing balloons at a wedding ceremony he officiated, he has a way of touching your heart and making you think at the same time.
My favorite chapters are "God wears lipstick", "Worth Dying For" (must read stuff for teen girls), and "Under the Chuppah".
I recommend taking the time to read and think on Rob Bell's new book, which I enjoyed as much if not more than the others.

3 comments:

Jason Bowker said...

Mandy (my wife) and I are part way through it right now. Good so far, but I am in love with Rob Bell so I am probably slightly biased.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review Fr. Tuck... I have yet to read any rob bell... just haven't gotten to it - but based on your review - I will start with this one over that black velvet artist... :-)

Peace.

rubyslipperlady said...

Dang you. Add one more to my list. What am I going to do in Africa? I can't take all of these books with me!

Book Review of Little Prayers for Ordinary Days by Katy Bowser Hutson, Flo Paris Oaks, and Tish Harrison Warren and illustrated by Liita Forsyth

Little Prayers for Ordinary Days by Katie Bowser Hutson, Flo Paris Oakes, and Tish Harrison Warren IVP Kids ISBN 978-1-5140-0039-8 Reviewed ...