Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Battle of the Bulge: Two Steps Forward, One Step Back


I gained a pound last week. I almost decided not to post this, but I thought I should.

I was disappointed. I was disappointed in part because I ate significantly less last week. The previous week I had ate more than usual, and lost two pounds. I also want the ego-pleasing narrative of a continuous journey in the right direction. Unfortunately it does not work that way.

I have two main excuses why I may have gained a pound this last week. First, I cooked for myself on Sunday, and although I was within my point range I ate late (10pm), and at a low-calorie turkey smoked sausage (perhaps high sodium) and noodles. It might have stuck in my belly a little longer.

I also had been without my blood pressure meds for a few days. My bp meds include a mild "water pill" kind of medication as a part of the treatment. I think not taking my meds could have helped with the one pound gain as well.

Finally, I am pondering whether the timing of my food consumption is having an effect as well. When I spread out my meals, I lose weight even if I eat a little more. When I load all my food to later in the day, perhaps this causes some weight retention. We will see.

Wish me good luck next week and on the journey!

3 comments:

David Cho said...

Keep up the good work, man. How do you know you "gained a pound"? Doesn't your weight fluctuate through the day anyway?

ElShaddai Edwards said...

Timing is everything! Spread them out to keep your furnace burning all day (and all night). When you eat late in the evening and go to sleep, your body just stores up the energy for later use, e.g. "weight".

My trainer had me front load my carbs in the morning to provide energy during the day, then switch to protein only in the evening. Check out my site for comments on what I did.

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work! And great job on posting even when you didn't like your results.

I like that you are analyzing your way through this battle. I do that too and it usually helps.

I have a bit easier time analyzing my results because I am using the bodybugg (through Jenny Craig but can be purchased elsewhere).

I had a bad week awhile back and was able to see that my daily sodium was really high. Bringing it down put me back on track fast.

After a loss of 4 lbs one week and then 3.8 the next, last week I only lost .4. I have already been able to make the adjustment for this week and am back on track again.

Angela

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...