Friday, December 30, 2011

Looking Ahead



Make an effort to present yourself to God as a tried-and-true worker, who doesn’t need to be ashamed but is one who interprets the message of truth correctly.--2 Tim 2:15  (CEB)
 Pray continually.--2 Thessalonians 5:17 (CEB)

In the last year I have done a lot to care for others, and for their spiritual welfare. I have expended a lot of effort in a lot of church things. I have led our community's ministerial alliance. I have completed another Backyard Mission Project. Yet, as I look back on how I have cared for my own soul, I am deeply disappointed with myself. I need to do better.


Yet, I know this phrase, "I need to do better" gets me nowhere. I said this every January about weight loss, and I spent many of my years gaining weight instead of losing it. I have told myself that I am going to study more, pray more, and save more over and over again. I rarely make any progress.


This is because intention is not enough to get anything accomplished. As Dallas Willard might say, I need Vision, intention, and means.


I think I am a hard-working man. I work hard to be a good dad, husband, pastor, and person. I do not think, though, I am as disciplined as I could be. Especially when it comes to really managing my time.


My planners show this weakness. I begin using them in January, but then I lose track of what I am doing with them as I go through the year.


I think I can be a more prayerful and spiritually grounded person, and a more scripture-saturated pastor if I can organize my time better. I think I can be a more studied pastor if I plan to study more. I also think I can make some new strides in weight loss and personal health if I write it into a daily plan instead of trying to fit in time to make it happen.












.












No comments:

Book Review of Little Prayers for Ordinary Days by Katy Bowser Hutson, Flo Paris Oaks, and Tish Harrison Warren and illustrated by Liita Forsyth

Little Prayers for Ordinary Days by Katie Bowser Hutson, Flo Paris Oakes, and Tish Harrison Warren IVP Kids ISBN 978-1-5140-0039-8 Reviewed ...