Saturday, December 17, 2011

Tebowing and Christian Culture 2



One of the things I find most interesting about the Tim Tebow phenomenon is how it is many ways a narrative about how Christ can be shown as strong in our weakness.

For anyone who watches the first three quarters of most Broncos games, it is fairly obvious that Tim Tebow does not demostrate the skill set of an effective professional quarterback. His timing is pathetic. His footwork is awful. He has a slow passing delivery. He is painfully inaccurate on some of his passes. It just looks pathetic.

Somehow, though, when the fourth quarter comes around he leads his teams on miraculous comebacks. Strange things begin to happen. And Tim Tebow leads the Broncos to victory.

Generally, I am not a big fan of believing that God cares who wins football games. I pray when my Ducks and Seahawks play anyway, but I am not sure God roots for certain teams, and against others.
But, when I see Tim Tebow's transformation between the third and fourth quarters, I begin to believe that something supernatural is taking place. Which pains me to say, because I would prefer that God hate the Broncos as much as I do.

This appearance of a supernatural transformation in the fourth quarter speaks poorly for Tim Tebow's skill set, and more loudly for God working most powerfully through his servants when they are weakest. It is hard to believe that Tim is doing what he is doing when you watch him at the end of games. Sometimes it is easier just to believe that something is being done through him.

This narrative is a little different than most Christian athletes. Most Christian athletes enter the field of professional athletic battle as Goliaths. Tebow comes into the arena with five smooth stones and a slingshot. Then he has faith that somehow, someway God will do the rest.

I find the change in the Christian athlete narrative fascinating and intriguing. And, I am anxious to see what happens next.

No comments:

Book Review of Little Prayers for Ordinary Days by Katy Bowser Hutson, Flo Paris Oaks, and Tish Harrison Warren and illustrated by Liita Forsyth

Little Prayers for Ordinary Days by Katie Bowser Hutson, Flo Paris Oakes, and Tish Harrison Warren IVP Kids ISBN 978-1-5140-0039-8 Reviewed ...