Monday, March 21, 2005

Aquinas and Islam and 21st Centuty Theology

The more I am out of seminary, the more dissappointed in my theology classes in my theological education. In particular, I am distressed that I did not have any classes that emphasized historical theology.

So, since I entered the ministry I have been playing catch up. As a friend of mine once told me, seminary is a bibliographic experience anyway.

One of the things I have been fascinated about lately is the relationship with St. Thomas Aquinas (the best theologian hands-down between Augustine and Calvin) and his interfaith dialogue between Jews, Muslims and Christians. So much of his theology is derivitive of, in conversation and argument with Muslim philosophers of his day. In particular those that drew their impetus from Aristotle. What a radical thing to embrace reason in Christian faith at that time.

And that is what fascinates me! The apologetical nature of Thomistic theology and philosophy. And Aquinas' willingness to speak to and embrace reason in a time when the church saw reason as dangerous, threatening, and an emphasis on reason as nearly heretical.

It makes me think about how we are running away from the important issues of our day, and wonder how God is going to raise up theologians of courage in our generation.

How do we need to step away from preserving the institution of the church to serve the church?

How do we enter into meaningful conversation and dialogue with Muslims in our time without comprimising our beliefs? With Jews? How do we speak to them in a way that is appropriate and apologetically intelligent.

How do we move as God's kingdom from protecting fortresses to taking ground (I know an overly military metaphor for things, but I cannot think of another way of putting it.)?

What implications does it have that most of Christian thought and ethics at one point is somewhat derivitive of Muslim philosophy?

Just some thoughts I have been mulling over

No comments:

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...