Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Constantine and the New Pop Theology

I just watched Constantine. What a ride! It was a fascinating movie, and left me with a lot to think about. I think I might even watch it again. Think Matrix meets Exorcist, meets city of Angels, meets Dogma. I think that the movie points to a lot of trends in theology.

1.) Most of the theology in the movie is overly dualist, although an argument could be made differently for the end of the movie. Satan and God are in on "a bet" to see who can win more souls. The importance of the whole thing is to maintain the "balance" of cosmic fairplay in the universe. Although spiritual warfare is biblical, God is soveriegn over the whole universe, including Satan. As Bonhoeffer says, Satan at his strongest could not defeat God at his weakest when Christ was on the cross. The Bible is clear that God is soveriegn even over the evil one, even if the great Greg Boyd's teaching implies differently.

2.) In the coming years there will be less athiests and agnostics, and more people who cognitively believe in God but who are openly angry and rebellious to Him. Also a lot of people who believe the "facts of the faith" but just do not find any value in spiritual pursuits.

3.) In order for the church to be truly relevant and missional in the future, we will have to be more open to the darker sensibilities of Christian spirituality. We will need to rediscover both lament and mystery--especially in our worship services. We will begin to understand faith less as trusting in answers when they dont make sense, and more like walking with Jesus in places where no clear answers seem possible. (I am not sure that makes sense)

4.) The experiencial will become more and more important. "The Real" will replace "the right" as spiritual values.

5.) Their will be more interest in tradition and superstition. However, neither will be authoritative as they have been considered before. They will however be considered in some ways functional, and flexible tools on the spiritual quest.

Anyway...these are my thoughts after just watching the movie.

3 comments:

Gossip Cowgirl said...

I've actually heard lots of good things about this movie. Now I want to see it! Tim & Nicole? Please...I promise it won't be like "White Noise"!!

Friar Tuck said...

I think that the loophole to heaven was all about rules.

I think the end where he gets to live is God's grace, even though God is assisted by Satan in this regard. As is the angel becoming human. Although he gets to the loophole by violating the "rules" which I find interesting.

Overall though, and since you are the expert I would like your opinion, there was a lot of Eastern Philosophy and Spirituality (ie. the balance)clothed in Western tradition and religious garb. The sycretism of the movie reminded me a lot of my experience with Russian Orthodox people in a Alaska Native context. There the people took on the Russian Orthodox faith's structure and expression, but kept a lot of their superstitions and fear based stuff from their animistic history.

Friar Tuck said...

All good points Tim. The rules and loopholes thing is a lot like Dogma in my opinion. The discussion of the Manicheans is a good corrective. It would be interesting to hear your take whether there is a revival of gnostic thought patterns in a lot of popular culture.

Although I thought that if there was grace, it was in letting Constantine and Gabriel live. Thus, I guess what I was saying is that part of the message is that human life is a "grace" unto itself. In that way I guess I see shades of City of Angels. I guess my thought of seeing a little grace at the end of the movie, and infact throughout the movie is the belief in having a second chance. Although my experience of grace is of never getting it right a lot of times. But I am one that looks for a message of grace behind every bush and in every corner.

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...