Friday, March 04, 2005

Its best to rest

I have a confession to make. I have been disobeying 1 of the 10 commandments.

I have not taken a day off in 19 days from work.

I am not saying this in some backhanded braggy way. I am saying it because it is 9pm on a Friday night and I am still working at the office.

I told my buddy Dan he was going to have to keep me accountable. When I said that, Dan told me that he can always tell when I have not been getting the day off that I need. My responses are less insightful to peoples problems, my attitude is not as peppy and positive, and I am not as good of a listener or a conversationalist. I had to pry this out of him, so do not think badly of Dan for being to overzealous in his constructive criticism. I think many do not notice. He notices because he cares.

As a matter of fact, this constructive criticism was a blessing. Why? I always think I am doing good for people by working myself until I almost drop. I think that if I push myself to the edge to care for others I am doing them a favor. My conversation with Dan tonight taught me differently. When I do not take care of myself the way I should I am not the best me I need to be for others.

So often I think by playing the workaholic role I am blessing the church and the ministry. This expereience reminds me that is not so. The Sabbath is a key commandment for a reason. I need to obey it.

1 comment:

Gossip Cowgirl said...

Dan is a good friend. Those hard conversations are often the test of friendship. Good job, Dan.

Everyone in ministry needs to learn how to obey this commandment. Me included. Although now I can't help but rest.

Most pastors only take breaks when they get sick or they have to travel for some family-related thing. We all need to "take back our vacation" as the new commercials say. Sometimes, TV can be wise as well. But only sometimes.

Book Review of Little Prayers for Ordinary Days by Katy Bowser Hutson, Flo Paris Oaks, and Tish Harrison Warren and illustrated by Liita Forsyth

Little Prayers for Ordinary Days by Katie Bowser Hutson, Flo Paris Oakes, and Tish Harrison Warren IVP Kids ISBN 978-1-5140-0039-8 Reviewed ...