Thursday, August 18, 2005

The Light bulb came on

The first week of the month, I was a camp pastor at Black Forest Camp in Monument, CO. And, as I put together the week, I learned a lot about my faith in putting the camp together.

The theme that was set up for all the camps was "glow in the dark faith". Thus, the whole theme was the metaphor of light from the gospels. I was a little frustrated at first, because the concept is kind of abstract for 3rd-5th graders, but I think I did a good job.

But at that time and ever since, I have been aware of all sorts of different lights, and how light describes the attributes of God in so many ways. More than that though, I became aware of how light surrounds us constantly--stars and moon at night, and sun at day. At the presence of light, and thinking about God as light, has reminded me in powerful ways about the constant "here"ness of God. And also how he is constantly invading our world with his love, and we are constanly ingnoring it. And somehow, as I have awakened the last couple of days, it has been impossible to ignore the presence of God basking upon me through the shades.

"the light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it"--John 1

1 comment:

rubyslipperlady said...

I love this! Thank you for the very visual reminder of the love and presence of God.

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...