Friday, June 09, 2006

Quotes and Paraphrases from the Tao of Steve

The Tao of Steve is one of my favorite movies. Although I would not endorse the frequent smoking of pot and references to it...it is one of the most entertaining and fun movies I have ever seen. Donal Logue won an award for his acting in this movie at the Sundance Film Festival in 2000.

ON GOD
I think God is the lonliest guy in the universe. Everyone always talk to God out of gratitude or groveling. Nobody asks God, "How are you? What can I do for you? What did you think of Letterman last night?"

Dex: the Buddha said "passionless is the greatest virtue."
Syd: the Pillbury Dough Boy said "Eat me I am yummy."

ON WORK
Doing stuff is overrated. Like Hitler, he did a lot. But dont we all wish he would have stayed home and gotten stoned.

Why is it that we give the American slacker no credit, but we think the Buddhist monk sitting around chanting all day is a holy man. Things always seem more spiritual and holy when they are from exotic eastern country

Men try and choose success for one reason...to impress women. If a guy could just sit on the couch all day and do nothing and still get laid he would never leave the house.

ON DATING

Women can smell an agenda like sh** on a shoe.

The threefold path of the Tao of Steve in picking up women:
Be excellent
Be desireless
Be gone (or retreat)

Syd: What do you look for in a woman?
Dex: Low standards

Getting out of the category of friend is worse than getting out of Alcatraz

Male Insanity Syndrome:
You are with a woman and no matter how cool she is youthing you could do better or trade up.

With chicks, boredom equals death

We pursue that which flees from us.

Syd: I dont have a lot of hangups, but monogamy is one of them.

We should just be open and admit that romantic love is our national religion.

Women want to hook up like 15 minutes after men do, so if you will wait for 20 they will be chasing you for 5.


ON BEING OVERWEIGHT AND BODY IMAGE

I am the worst kind of fattist. I am a fat fattist.

I am just a say no to nudity kind of person. I dont even let my cats see me naked.

No comments:

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...