Monday, June 19, 2006

Sequels

As the kids and I were painting last week, we got in a conversation about sequels.

Sequels do not always work. The kids brought up some movie about a killer leprechan killing gangsters called "leprachaun in the hood" i think. They said it was an awful movie.

I am not a big fan of sequels. I like trilogies sometimes....if they are planned in advance. Although I would think most of us could agree that the 2nd Lord of the Rings, Matrix, and Star Wars trilogies (Clones and Return) were the worst in the trilogies.

This last week was a sequel of sorts. It was the only time I have ever returned to the same site for a mission trip. And, before I was a church employee, my ministry was at this Center that I have now also done mission trips at twice as well.

The name of the place is Bethel Neighborhood Center. It is in a low income neighborhood in Kansas City KS.

This week we worked painting, spreading mulch on a playground, clearing brush and leading a worship service.

And although we had some attitude issues, the whole thing went over great over all. And it was fun seeing people that I knew, and that the ministry that I had there for 2 years still has a lasting impact 9 years later. Even one of the fourth graders I worked with remembered me, and she had just graduated from high school. She is now working for Bethel off and on while she prepares for the fall. It was neat seeing how the neighborhood had changed, and how Bethel was working to make the neighborhood center be responsive to those changes.

When I was in KCK, the area around the neighborhood center was about 1/3 white. 1/3 black, and 1/3 hispanic. Today....it still has a multicultural feel, but it is a lot more Latin American in its identity. All up and down the neighborhood are spanish language signs and businesses. It was interesting to see how an area can change so much so quickly.

Probably the thing that grieved me most about all the changes is that the Polish restaurants and presence in the neighborhood is nearly gone. I was craving some polish for lunch while I was there.

But all in all, I would say this sequel of a mission trip was excellent, and I personally would like to go back and volunteer again sometime soon.

7 comments:

see-through faith said...

Blesss the volunteer heart of the people in the USA: We just had a GREAT team of 12 from Kansas here in Finland helping us renovate our campsite for youth work. There were additionally 5 from Lativa, 2 from Russia, 3 from Estonia and 2 from Poland. We worked hard and the site is looking so much better.

I know what you mean about sequels though ...

San Nakji said...

How can you dis the Ewoks Friar? Nooooooo!

Welcome back by the way!

Drea Inspired said...

I always fear sequels because they are often disappointing, but on rare occassions they can be better than the original.

Glad you enjoyed your sequel...keep doing what you do!

SUPER said...

One of the few sequels I did enjoy was "Rush Hour 2". It was hilarious.

As for your sequel...man there have been several moments or experiences in my life that I wish had a sequel. There are just some adventures that deserve a 2nd visit!

The Gig said...

Good job, Clint. Glad things went well for you. It's always good to know that you have had a positive impact, especially on the young people.

Brian Vinson said...

Well, the Left Behind sequal... HEHEHEHAHAAHA I knew I couldn't type that with a straight face.

Seriously, many Star Wars fans hail the first sequal (Empire Strikes Back) as the best of the 6. Return of the Jedi was actually the third of that trilogy.

Brea said...

Leprachaun in the hood? Now I've heard everything!!

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...