Monday, July 18, 2011

Battle of the Bulge: One Pound at a Time


I lost 5 pounds this week. It was strange to lose this much this week. I think it says something about how my weight loss would explode with just a little bit of moderate aerobic exercise.

This week I broke through a major barrier in my weight loss. This is very exciting for me. I am looking at the 100 lb barrier and seeing it as very attainable by the end of August--maybe earlier.

At the beginning of my weight loss journey I was sitting in a hospital room waiting for a doctor to show up, and being cared for by a male nurse. He was obnoxious. But one small part of the conversation really struck me.

He asked me how much weight I had gained since high school. I told him. Then he asked, "How does anyone gain that much weight since high school?" It made me feel bad and it got me to thinking.

How does a person gain as much weight as I have since high school?

9 months later I have an easy answer to that question. Gain one pound a month since high school. Of course it did not work like that, but in many ways it did. There were moments of rapid weight gain, usually after an impressive weight loss. For the most part, though, my weight gain came slowly over time.

Now, at he pace of one or two pounds a week, I am striving to lose that weight. At times I am impressed with my weight loss. At other times I get discouraged because I have so much more to lose. In those discouraging moments, it helps to remember that it took a lot of time to gain a little bit at a time, and it is going to take me a while to lose the same way...

to be continued....

No comments:

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...