Friday, April 07, 2006

Fat Man Flying

Ok....some thoughts on travelling as a "person of girth". Maybe it will even make Brotha Buck's Blog.

First of all, I had to fly over here on a small 40 passenger plane with very small seats. Not fun. The lady beside me cozied up to the window and slept, but planes always make me tense.
I just sit and am jealous of the 120 stick figure gal two rows back who has nobody beside her. O well.

I told my mom I am not flying on the puddlejumper down to where she lives. I am going to need a ride back to Anchorage on the way back. Having to report your weight to the stewardess so she can balance the plane correctly, that is too small of a plane for me!

One might think as a big guy that I feel somewhat different than everyone else on the plane. But...I am much the same. Each time a large person comes down the aisle....I am praying. Please lord, dont let the big person sit by me! Let the seat next to me be empty! Let some beautiful woman who is a chubby chaser sit here, and let her fall in love (0r lust) with me.

Speaking of which...there is something about flying and travelling that makes me feel a little bit....hmmmm.....lets just say my attention is peaked toward other people while I travel.

I think this is true overall. I sit and observe people. I observe the range of humanity in the airport, and my heart goes out to them. I wonder what peoples lives are like. I feel a connection with them without speaking. I dont know why travel does that. And, I dont know if I am the only one that feels this way. But I do.

4 comments:

Erin said...

"Please lord, dont let the big person sit by me! Let the seat next to me be empty! Let some beautiful woman who is a chubby chaser sit here, and let her fall in love (0r lust) with me."

Imho, it is possible for a woman to be big and beautiful. Then again, I may be biased.

Friar Tuck said...

It is more like....I dont want the other big man sitting next to me...

San Nakji said...

As long as you are still dazzling, everything is good sir!

rubyslipperlady said...

There is a certain mystery in traveling. You will probably never see those people again. You might know them from phone or internet connections that you don't even realize.

A world where no one knows you and you can be whomever you'd like to be while you sit on the floor hooked up to the wireless and drinking an overprices Starbucks . . . damn life is good.

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...