Wednesday, April 26, 2006

From Eugene Peterson's EAT THIS BOOK
























Quotes from others in the book

"To know much and to taste nothing--of what use is that?"--Bonaventure

"If the book we are reading does not wake us, as with a fist hammering on our skull, why then do we read it?"--Kafka


Some starter quotes from Peterson

when we open the Bible --we enter the totally unfamiliar world of God, a world of creation and salvation stretching endlessly above and beyond us. (7)

I want to counter this widespread preactive of taking perosnal experience instead of the Bible as the authority for living...I want to confront and expose this replacement of the authoritative Bible for the authoritative self. (17)

7 comments:

rubyslipperlady said...

I'll have to add this one to the list, now. Love the title!

Drea Inspired said...

hmmm, interesting...

I love your poem, by the way. I can see you in the moment.

San Nakji said...

If a book told me to eat it, I am sure I would. If you can't trust books, who can you trust?

Friar Tuck said...

The EAT THIS BOOK quote is from the Bible. Ezekiel, Isaiah and the book of Revelation all call for this.

Oricon Ailin said...

This looks quite interesting. I think I will have to check out this book on my next trip to Barnes and Noble. I am always fascinated by books like this.

Thanks! It is now on my next purchase list!

Anonymous said...

Oh dear and I vowed not to buy another book...I really must stop reading comments onblogs and following chains through!
Love the blog by the way

see-through faith said...

I'm with Sallyhere :(

another book I can't afford ...

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...