Tuesday, April 04, 2006

I can't help it



I LOVE this album. Ordinary People is a great song. And although I totally disagree with the premise of what Legend communicates in NUMBER ONE, I love that song to. Especially when Kanye West raps about how the heart and other parts of his anatomy have different minds. Probably my favorite song on the album, however is "I CAN CHANGE". It is just smooth. For those of you who are unfamiliar with John Legend, I would say he has a "new soul" music type of a feel, with a little hip hop feel blended in for good measure. Vocally, at times Legend reminds me of Smokey Robinson. Although, Legend is a little more sensual (and at times poetic) than a lot of Robinson's stuff.

The whole album, to use church terms, has a liturgical flow to it. Not only does each song on the album stand alone, the album flows to tell an overarching story of loves lost, found, lost, and found again.

Combine this with Leela James and a glass of your favorite adult beverage and a good book (if you are uninvolved) or a candlelight dinner (if you have a special someone). You wont be disappointed.

1 comment:

Brotha Buck said...

I love this album, luke warm to Leelah, but play the h*ll out of Legend. I like the music, but not so much the lyrics, I mean, the messages are somewhat twisted, but I guess thats just on par for these days.

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...