Sunday, October 02, 2011

Battle of the Bulge: A Day Early post



I have simply been slogging along for the last month or so with weight loss. I got down to my best weight at the first of August with a loss of 91 pounds, and reached that again last week. I believe I am almost certain to gain or stay the same this week. It makes me wonder...what is wrong with me? Why am I so...stuck?

I have pondering this concern a lot lately, and while I don't have every answer, I do have some.

One reason that I am struggling is that significant weight loss takes a significant amount of control of my time and environment. The last month and a half for me has been full off a lot of stress and a lot of struggle. Over and over again, circumstances have taken my eating environment, my eating experiences, and my eating choices out of my control.

Another reason is this busyness has pushed me away from making taking my medication a priority. I think when I fail to take my medication, I struggle.

More than anything though, I think that I am struggling because I need to step up my weight loss game. I need to exercise more. This is hard to when I am overwhelmed with a crazy schedule. It is also difficult because I need someone to exercise with me, to keep me accountable, and to make my exercise a social event instead of a drudgery. It is actually quite remarkable that I have lost 91 lbs with little or no commitment to exercise.

So, tomorrow I will swallow a bitter pill of weight gained. Then I will begin again to try and lose a few more pounds. And hope that at some point I reach my far off goal.

2 comments:

Pastor Bill said...

Friar Tuck, I appreciate our honesty in the struggle to control one's weight. I am also on that journey... I find it most difficult to control my eating when I am focused on how little" doesn't it? I will remember you in my prayers as we journey to better health together.
Bill Johnson

Kim said...

I wonder if you exercise at home if you could do it with a friend on Skype? I wonder if I could do it with a friend on Skype. I too HATE to exercise alone! Take care!!!

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...