Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Book Review of Hungry for God by Margaret Feinberg

Book Info:
Hungry for God
by Margaret Feinberg
ISBN 978-0-310-33207-7
Zondervan Publishing
Reviewed by Clint Walker

Review:
Margaret Feinberg is one of my favorite authors. I have a certain affinity for her because she is around my age. She has also lived in the same regions I have. She is now living in Colorado, as I am. But, she also did a stint living in Alaska, as I have as well.

I also enjoy her writing because it is the wonderful combination of a contemplative heart, an active and curious mind, and a contemporary down to earth voice. Her previous books kept my attention.

Hungry for God is her most recent release. It continues in the tradition that I described above. Specifically, this book is written for the person that is eager to hear God's voice, but is not sure how that is done or what that means.

In Hungry for God, Feinberg deftly combines story and biblical principles into an inviting guide to a deeper and more personal relationship with the Creator. She challenges her readers to be attentive to the way that God is present in their everyday lives, and gives some specific examples to her readers about how that can be done.

The book goes on to share about ways that God has historically spoken to believers, how he guides and directs, as well as how God convicts and challenges. She gives tips to seekers on how they can equip themselves to better listen to God. Finally, she offers some helpful insight on how to continue in a conversational relationship with God. Hungry for God is a good book.

This may seem petty, but the biggest turn off for me about the book was the cover. The cover is, infact, a picture of Margaret. Margaret is an attractive woman, and this is an attractive photograph. I just hate buying books with huge pictures of the author on front. Probably the only exception to this rule for me are authors that lived in previous centuries. I even think Dave Ramsey's books with his picture on the front are a little offputting. I don't like this for two reasons. One, it was overdone in Christian books in the 70s and early 80s. Second, I think a lot of the books that do this are marketed toward a more feminine audience. And, I don't want to run around holding a "girly book". He He.

Anyway, if you can get past the cover looking like it is a magazine cover in the check out line, I would suggest grabbing this book and spending some time reading it.

No comments:

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...