Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Education is not a cure-all

We have this strange mentality in our society that education will cure all of our ills. This came up again when I was talking to someone in a position similar to mine, yet without any theological education (LOL). She was talking about how she did not understand how some people that are educated and have such books smarts can be so needy, weak, and stupid about so many things.

In much of our society, we see education as the solution to everything. I remember, much to my shame, a mistake I made in leadership. I was an RA in my college dorm, and a defensive lineman on my football team. We had this tradition that before our game against Friends University, we would have this relay where we would divide up into teams and have a relay passing raw chicken. It was an optional event. Every African American immediately opted out of the relay. Soon a person in front of me in line made a comment something like, "I can't believe those lazy a** n*****s...." I asked, "What the hell did you say!" He repeated himself. Then the race was on. I discussed it with an African-American student leader later that night, hoping to resource him for an dialogue/education program on the issue. And, although my naivite did not allow me to anticipate it then, I soon was the center of a major racial divide on our football team as I was urged to reveal the name of the person who made the comment. (I worked it out where this person could go and admit what he said for himself and apologize, which probably saved him from a major beatdown.)

That was the night that I learned that education and knowledge were not necessarily the cure for all the worlds ills. And I continued to learn it, because I recieved death threats and other intimidating phone calls for the next year and a half or so. And the coaches blamed me for bringing the issue to light. And the quarterback of the football team tried to run me over with his pickup truck. (So much for a CHRISTIAN COLLEGE)

For me learning is a joy. And education can often help people move into the shrinking middle class of our society. But education is not a cure all. Just because you understand your neurosis cognitively does not always mean that you are able to overcome it. Just because you know you have a drinking problem because you learned it from your parent(s) does not make it that easy to quit drinking. Sometimes, it may make it more difficult, because you think your education has helped you overcome your issues, when it has only made you aware of your issues.

Many of the most messed up people I know are children of ambitious, well educated yuppies.

I know a lot of ministers that ask people to just "read this book" and then they will understand what they are doing wrong and know how to fix their lives. Do we really learn life from a book? Or do we learn what is really important in our relationships with others? I believe that the greatest of theological and biblical teachings are not done in seminary classrooms, but over a burger and beer in a hole in the wall restaurant where you can throw peanuts on the floor. I value my theological education and thinking by how easily it can be understood and lived by a mother with 3 rug-rats that are the center of her life, or by the couple that has been married for a few years and is discovering that marriage is not as easy as they thought it would be, or the single guy living in the trailer on the edge of town wondering when Mrs. Right is coming along.

Also, we must understand that education does not equal intelligence. Some of the smartest people I know are folks that have never read much more than the Bible. And some of the stupidest people I know have a bunch of letters behind their name on their stationary. Some have accused me of having lots of book smarts and no common sense even, but I am sure you all will disagree! :)

Anyway..sorry if the person that spurred these thoughts is reading this. But I doubt you are....

3 comments:

Tasha said...

Education is useless becuase it destroys our common sense, because it isolates us from the rest of humanity, because it hardens our hearts and swells our heads....

Travis Greene said...

I don't think education is useless, it just needs to be seen in a proper perspective. Most education today (at least in America) is imparting knowledge. Knowledge is good. Wisdom is better.

Brotha Buck said...

I was gonna post something completely different until I got down to the part about a Christian College. I thought you were writing about high school. I guess people are people regardless of their educational background, and I also believe that we all possess our own racial predudices even though we may try to pretend not, and bury them deep away so no one will know. But its awful when they come out in that manner and displayed so bluntly.

Book Review of the Second Testament by Scot McKnight

The Second Testament: A New Translation By Scot McKnight IVP Press ISBN 978-0-8308-4699-3 Scot McKnight has produced a personal translation ...